Sunday 12 June 2011

Pond creatures

Recently I've been making a big batch of Pond Creatures. I still need to think of a better name for them, but I love the idea of these bloated little critters flying around the pond, eating flies and plopping into the water. They're obviously inspired by Brian Froud, who's quirky fairies and goblins inspire all my work. They're also my own invention though, creatures that have been flying around in my imagination for a good few years.

It seems like every time I have a spare moment, i'm doodling these critters. Because I suffer from CFS, I don't have much concentration or energy to sculpt and make my creatures, which can be very upsetting and frustrating. But when I do have a good day and feel up to making a creature, it feels like I'm taking these valuable sketches and bringing them to life. It shows that magic can come from the most ordinary or horrible situations, and that even the most difficult illnesses cannot suppress creativity and human spirit.


I have loads of these Pond creatures half finished, so as soon as I'ts a sunny day, and I'm feeling a little better, I'll be out in the garden snapping them to upload here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment